Saturday, May 29, 2010

Summer Camp

Memorial Day is the kickoff to the long awaited summer! Finally many of us can put away the textbooks and required reading and choose books just for fun. During the summer no excuse is needed to pick up some light reading. Now there is no need to read Moby Dick when you would much rather read the latest James Patterson mystery or Debbie Macomber romance.

This is a difficult time to be a bookstore owner. Each day as I wander the shop my must read list grows longer and longer. I imagine myself lounging on the deck this weekend with a cool drink and a copy of No Time to Wave Goodbye, written by a Wisconsin gal who knows how surviving a long Wisconsin winter should be considered an accomplishment worth celebrating. Or Coop written by another Wisconsin author who knows what it means to work hard and understands the need to relax.

Running my hand over these titles gives me something to look forward to each day. Is it any wonder that I feel a little sad each time one leaves the store? I realize my job is to share my excitement with other readers and I should feel pride when one of my favorites is chosen to be enjoyed, but some small part of me feels like saying goodbye to a child off to summer camp. This summer when you stop in to discover your perfect beach read, please take care of my child and if you loved it as much as I did, let me know. Let’s discuss it, share a tear, maybe a picture or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment