Friday, May 16, 2008

Hug Him and Squeeze Him and Call Him George

Summer is here! So maybe it is only 60 degrees out and the kids are still in school. Today my college student will be home bearing gifts of laundry and stale chips. I am as yet undecided how I feel about his return. Each Friday night before his visits home the past nine months I could hardly contain my excitement. “I will hug him and squeeze him and call him George”*!! By Sunday I still have not received a hug or even seen him for that matter. I know he arrived safely because twenty minutes before we are ready to drive him back to college he dumps out a garbage bag of laundry that he needs washed before we can leave.

He is ready for a break from his studies, though. He called me just the other day to place a book order. During the school year he is so busy he can’t find the time to read. When he does, he feels he should be reading something for school, not his own enjoyment. When he arrives home, I will have his copy of
Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes waiting for him. Nothing like a little light reading over the summer.

His brother just finished the latest by his favorite author,
Neal Shusterman . He is searching for something short to read since he only has a couple of weeks left of school. This son just can’t find the time in his busy summer schedule to read. It is amazing how different two children in the same family can be.

So, my question for you is – do you read more or less during the lazy summer months? And, what do you read - something light and enjoyable like a romance or something deep and life changing?

* Just a little fyi - Did you know this popular phrase is actually a reference to John Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment