Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Christmas!

I realize I should be wishing you “Happy Holidays” but this year I have decided to give up on all that nonsense. If you are not a Christian, please accept this greeting as one of goodwill as it is intended and not as the gun draw some may imply.

No matter what your beliefs, everyone feels a little more deeply this time of year. Whether it is the feeling of joy, love and happiness or the feeling of loss and loneliness. This is the time of year to come together and support one another.

This has caused me to ponder the reason for my own existence. As a business owner, albeit a new and struggling one, there must be more I can do for my community and the people who live here. Since I had the choice this year to either convince my own children they have been too naughty for a visit from Santa or explain to them the real reason for a lack of gifts, becoming a Secret Santa , although a more joyous experience I can not imagine, is a financial impossibility.

Thus the Christmas Book Drive was born. While planning this, an idea born of Give-A-Kid-A-Book, I failed to take into account the limitations of my community as a whole. Although 40 donated books is a start, overall my community does not have the financial ability to help others when they are in need themselves.

Based on the Socks Save Christmas Blog , the idea of Sorrows for Socks has been bouncing around in my overworked brain. The idea is simple – encourage area angels to donate the most outrageous socks imaginable and those in despair can stop in and choose a pair to brighten their day. Crazy idea, I know. The largest hurdle would be the same as in the Christmas Book Drive – finding enough donors. In addition, when I am most in need of the comfort of socks, I am in no mood to leave the house. How would I find those most in need of the psychological hug?

I’m counting on you, dear readers, to share your ideas on becoming an angel not only this time of year, but all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment